Some reminders for those of you, like me, who are trying to stay in shape as we get a little bit older….
· Machines over free weights: For larger muscle groups, like back, legs and chest, move to machines to avoid joint problems that arise from stability issues free weights can create
· Use your body: Make the most of bodyweight exercises, which also develop more of your stabilizer muscles (see previous bullet point) – planks, pushups, pullups, lunges, etc. are great to begin with
· Time under tension: Keep the targeted muscles under tension longer to get the desired results
· Walk: Nothing burns more fat calories without potential muscle loss than a simple walk
· Strict form: Nothing derails progress like an injury – better to lighten the load with good form than risk being out of the game due to nursing avoidable muscle trauma
· Stay hydrated: Muscle is 70% water, so drink plenty of water to power your workouts
· Diet: Get plenty of protein and good fats, and increase your carbs on workout days (required to transport protein to your muscles)